“Self-confidence, poise, consciousness of possessing the power to accomplish our desires with renewed lively interest in life are the natural results of the practice of Contrology (Pilates).”The National Strength Professionals Association is the only certification in the US that teaches the High Intensity Strength Training (HIT) system.
The National Strength Professionals Association Inc. (NSPA) has educated thousands of health and fitness professionals through its Certification Courses and Workshops. These courses emphasize professional competency through hands-on practical application, group lectures, and student interaction. NSPA features the HIT System (High Intensity Strength Training), the only system that defines the “perfect repetition”. Leading strength researcher and author, Dr. Wayne Westcott, calls the HIT System the safest, most effective, and time efficient strengthening system available.
NSPA was founded in 1985 by John Philbin, former US Olympian Bobsledder and All-American Decathlete. Coach Philbin was the 1992 Olympic Head Coach and Director of Sports Science & Conditioning for the US Bobsled Team. He was the Director of Strength & Conditioning for the USOTC in Lake Placid and was with the Washington Redskins Football Organization as an Assistant Strength Coach for seven years (1993-2000) under the legendary Dan Riley, Head Strength Coach. Philbin also acted as the conditioning coach for Fernando Vargas, WBA world junior middle weight boxing champion.
Coach Philbin currently owns and operates Philbins Athletic Training Center in Gaithersburg, Maryland. At this facility he puts into practice the techniques and methodologies taught through the NSPA courses.
- Our faculty consists of current, accredited and highly respected Health and Fitness Industry Professionals.
- Our Certification Courses consist of 50 percent Hands-on, practical application. Our students are dressed and prepared to participate in active learning and demonstration.
- Hands-on practical training for strength, flexibility, plyometrics, manual resistance training, cardiovascular and assessments occur in small group settings with our NSPA Certified Conditioning Specialist teaching staff.
- Our course manuals are an instructional tool and reference handbook to be used daily, as a practicing fitness professional.
- NSPA presents lectures and conducts certification testing at National Health and Fitness Conferences, such as IDEA, IHRSA, Club Industry and ECA, and MACMA.
- NSPA challenges students to share their previous experiences and knowledge throughout the interactive course lectures.
Value of NSPA Certification
- Ability to learn how to build a successful personal training business.
- Ability to use and learn practical application with certified instructors.
- Recognized proficiency and credibility; increased marketability and income as a Fitness Professional and Personal Trainer.
- Access to the medical community for client/patient referrals.
- Resource referral for professional liability insurance.
- On-going education for all NSPA graduated necessary to remain up-to-date with health and fitness industry standards, as well as professional re-certification.
The NSPA Recognizes CEC’s from the following organizations: ACE, ACSM, AFAA, AFPA, NASM, NSCA, and other nationally recognized organizations.
NSPA Contact Information
PO Box 967
Mount Airy, MD 21771
Phone (410) 635-2235
Toll Free (800) 494-6772
Fax: (410) 635-2247
Latest posts by FPO Crew
- The Fitness Industry Voting Results - March 26, 2018
- Greg Zuffelato of Too Busy To Eat - November 7, 2016
- Karsten Jensen – The Flexible Periodization Method - October 17, 2016