Storytelling is an art that has been around since the dawn of human civilization. It also happens to be an extremely powerful tool when it comes to marketing your services.
Today, we’ll talk about The Hero’s Journey. There are endless variations to this formula, so we’ll share an abbreviated version that we use often at FMA with great success. I’ll also tailor it to the fitness industry to offer as much immediate value to you as possible.
Once you understand the formula, you’ll see it in a multitude of stories you’re already familiar with – Star Wars, Jesus Christ, The Alchemist, The Hobbit, and SO many more. For our particular conversation, I’ll lay this out in the client experience.
- The Ordinary World – This is life before the journey begins (overfat, unhealthy, unhappy)
- The Call to Adventure – This is some sort of catalyst or mysterious calling that initiates the new adventure (a critical doctor visit, shirtless trip the beach, divorce)
- Refusal of the Call – This is the initial resistance that the “hero” experiences from accepting the challenge of the new adventure (self-doubt, fear of judgment, discomfort)
- Meeting the Mentor -This person brings hope, knowledge, and coaching (YOU!)
- The Adventure Begins – Our hero accepts the call and embarks on the journey (day one of the new training and nutrition protocols)
- Trials, Friends, Foes – Our hero will meet many tests along the way while finding new friends and encountering treacherous enemies (injuries, negative talk from friends/family, binge weekends)
- Combat – Our hero engages in the MAJOR battle of the story where he/she is tested to their very core (a major training goal, competition, or event)
- The Big Win – Our hero defeats the evil foe, often times losing something of great value. He/She then claims the sought after prize (a positive doctor visit, hot first date, hits the %BF goal)
- The Triumphant Return – Our hero returns to their place of origin with great knowledge and power that is shared with those they left behind (inspire and educate others to do the same)
My challenge to you this week is to write ONE story based on the hero’s journey and release it to your email list, social media, private FB group, etc. Share it with me too, please.
Looking to tell your personal Hero’s Journey? Come join me on the Fitness Blitz Radio show.
Was this Article Helpful?
If this article was helpful to you, please consider linking this article to your own blog or sharing this through the social buttons below. You will also find other great articles at “Business“.
The success that he saw during his days as a gym owner, can now be leveraged to help thousands of gym owners worldwide.